What is Vietnam Visa on Arrival?
Vietnam visa on arrival (also known as Vietnam landing visa, or Vietnam airport visa) is a convenient alternative way to obtain valid permission to visit Vietnam. It can be picked up at one of Vietnam international airports upon arrival.
To obtain the visa on arrival for Vietnam, you need to get a visa approval letter in advance. First, you fill out the online application form. Second, you show it at Vietnam airports to get visa stamped onto your passports. No passport sendoff, no document is required to apply for this type of visa for Vietnam.
NOTICE (March 14, 2020): Due to the recent outbreak of COVID 19, the Visa on arrival program has been temporarily suspended from March 15, 2020. You are highly recommended reading updates on Temporary regulator change on entry and exit of foreigners before planning a trip to Vietnam during this time and contact a local embassy/consulate of Vietnam for further information.
Is Vietnam Visa on Arrival Legitimate?
Yes, it is.
Getting a Vietnamese visa on arrival is a 100% legal process. The authorized visa approval letter is granted by Vietnam Immigration Department. It acts as official permission that allows you to board the airplane and get visa stamped onto passports at Vietnam international airports.
- Ordinance on entry, exit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam
- Government’s Decree No. 21/2001/ND-CP
- Joint Circular No. 04/2002/TTLT/BCA-BNG
Many centers supply this service to simplify travelers’ arrival and save their time.
Types of Vietnam Visa at the airport
In general, the most popular types of Vietnam visa include tourist visa (DL), business visa (DN), working visa (LĐ), and student/internship visa (DH). But a visa on arrival is available for only:
Can I get a visa on arrival in Vietnam
Most visitors are required to have a valid visa to enter Vietnam and eligible to apply for a Vietnam visa on arrival as long as they travel to Vietnam by air and arrive at one of the international airports in Vietnam.
If you are not sure, please select your nationality here and check.
List of Applicable Airports
- Noi Bai International Airport (Hanoi)
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Cat Bi International Airport (Hai Phong)
- Da Nang International Airport (Da Nang)
- Cam Ranh International Airport (Khanh Hoa)
- Can Tho International Airport (Can Tho)
- Lien Khuong International Airport (Da Lat)
- Phu Quoc International Airport (Phu Quoc)
Why Vietnam Visa upon Arrival?
Getting Vietnam visa on arrival is:
- Fast: For cases of emergency visa, you can get the approval letter for a Vietnam tourist visa on arrival within 02 – 04 working hours or a business visa on arrival within 2 -3 working days.
- Convenient: No hard documents and passports sent off. Just minimal information required. Things will be done online.
- Low cost: It is rather cheap compared with other forms of getting a visa for Vietnam.
Vietnam Visa on Arrival Fees
When it comes to the cost of Vietnam visa on arrival, there are two types of fee you need to pay:
- Service fee: paid online to the agency to obtain the Visa approval letter.
- Stamping fee: paid in cash at Vietnam International Airport to get visa stamped.
Here is a sample fee board for Vietnam tourist visa provided by Vietnam Visa Center: