Who is Eligible for the Vietnam 5-year Visa Exemption?
5-year visa exemption for Vietnam is granted to Vietnamese overseas, foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese overseas, or Vietnamese citizens.
The visa exemption certificate acts as a long-term visa for its holders to visit Vietnam at any time within 5 years.
- No visa is required for travel to Vietnam within 05 years. Those people having a 5-year Vietnam visa exemption certificate are allowed to stay in Vietnam for 180 days at maximum for each visit.
- If they want to stay longer than 180 days without leaving the country, they can extend visa in Vietnam. The extended duration is up to 6 months.
- The Visa exemption certificate shall be valid for up to 05 years and expires at least 6 months before the expiration of the holder’s passport or equivalent paper.
How to Get a 5-Year Visa for Vietnam
You need to follow the two (02) steps below for Vietnam 5 year visa application:
Step 1: Prepare the required documents
The documents required for applying for a Vietnam 5 year visa exemption depend on the subjects of applications, namely:
- Vietnamese overseas; and
- Spouses, children of Vietnamese overseas, or Vietnamese citizens
For Vietnamese overseas:
To apply for 5 years visa exemption for overseas Vietnamese, the applicant needs to prepare:
- 01 5-year Vietnam visa exemption application form (Fill out the form here and print it with a barcode on Letter-sized paper
- Passport or equivalent paper or a residence permit granted by a competent agency in the country of residence valid for at least 6 months following the date of arrival in Vietnam;
- Two photos taken recently (white background, straight face, bare head, no colored glasses);
- One certified copy or copy attached to the originals of one of the following papers:
- birth certificate;
- certificate of Vietnamese citizenship;
- the decision for renunciation of Vietnamese citizenship;
- certificate of loss of Vietnamese citizenship;
- Vietnamese passport (valid or invalid)
- Identity Card (valid or invalid);
- latest voter’s card;
- Family Register Book;
- Documents issued by competent foreign authorities if they can prove that the person in question has original Vietnamese citizenship or of Vietnamese origin.
- In case of not having documents listed at (4), the following materials could be submitted:
- A guarantee issued by an overseas Vietnamese association from the country of residence
For foreign spouses & children of overseas Vietnamese or Vietnamese citizens:
To apply for Vietnam 5 year visa exemption for foreign spouses and children of overseas Vietnamese or Vietnamese citizens, the applicant will need to prepare:
- A 5 year Vietnam visa exemption application form (prepared as above if you are in any country other than Vietnam, or download and fill out this Applicant Form NA09 if you are in Vietnam);
- Foreign passport valid for at least 6 months following entry date in Vietnam;
- Two photos taken recently (white background, straight face, bare head, no colored glasses;
- One copy attached to originals of one of the following papers which prove the relationship between wives/husbands/children and the Vietnamese overseas/Vietnamese citizens:
- Certificate of Marriage
- Certificate of Birth
- Certificate of relationship with father, mother, children;
- Other valid documents as regulated by the Vietnamese Law.
- Decision of Adoption
Step 2: Submit the documents prepared above to the granting authority:
Agencies competent to grant visa exemption certificates include:
- Overseas Vietnamese diplomatic missions and consulates (see here for their contact details);
- The Vietnam Immigration Department under the Ministry of Public Security (if you are in Vietnam).
Step 3: Receive your original passport and the 5 years visa exemption certificate.
In case you do not know where to start, let us help you. No matter where you are, we can process a Vietnam 5-years visa exemption certificate for you. Spend 1 minute to complete the form below, and we will get back to you shortly.