Hong Kong is a member of The Hague Convention, as such its documents can be apostilled for use in other Apostille countries. However, Vietnam is not a member of this Convention, as such all documents, papers issued in Hong Kong must be fully legalized for use in Vietnam.
In this post, we will show you:
- What is Vietnam consular legalization of Hong Kong documents?
- How to legalize Hong Kong documents for Vietnam?
- Processing time of legalizing Hong Kong documents for Vietnam?
- Cost of legalizing Hong Kong documents for use in Vietnam?
1. What is Vietnam consular legalization of HongKong documents
Vietnam consular legalization of Hong Kong documents, papers is a process in which the Vietnam’s Consulate General in Hong Kong certify stamps, signatures and titles of the officials of Hong Kong’s High Court on documents, papers which were issued in Hong Kong, so that the Hongkong documents, papers can be legally used in Vietnam.
As such, the full process to legalize Hongkong documents or papers for use in Vietnam will be carried out in the High Court of Hong Kong firstly and then in the Consulate General of Vietnam in Hong Kong.
2. How to legalize Hong Kong documents for use in Vietnam
Normally, the Vietnam legalization of Hong Kong documents will be carried out in 3 steps below
👉 Step 1: Notarize/Certify by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths
In this step, you need to have your document notarized/certified by a competent Notary Public or Commissioners of Oaths whose specimen signature is maintained at the High Court of Hong Kong.
Note: This step is not required for public documents bearing the true signature of an official party such as a Hong Kong SAR Government recognized officer, including:
- Marriage Certificates signed by Deputy Registrar of Marriage
- Certificate of Absence of Marriage Record
- Birth and Death Certificate
- Certificate of Registered Particulars
- Business Registration Certificate
- Certificate of Incorporation
👉 Step 2: Authenticate by Hong Kong High Court
This step is also known as Hong Kong Apostille, or Hong Kong document authentication. It is done at Hong Kong High Court:
- High Court Building, 38 Queensway, Hong Kong
- Opening hours: 8:45 a.m. to 1:00 a.m & 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
This step is not complicated, by in case you are in Hong Kong, in-person submission at the Hong Kong High Court is required. This step is briefly outlined as follows:
- Document submission and assessment: you will bring the document requested for authentication/apostille to the to the Apostille Service Office, High Court Registry at Room LG115, and then the Apostille Service official will decide if your document can be accepted for authentication/apostille service or not.
- Fee payment: you will pay the fee (by cash, EPS or cheque payable to “Government of Hong Kong SAR”) at the High Court Accounts Office at LG211 if your document is accepted for apostille/authentication, and then get you payment receipt.
- Collection appointment: You will then return to the Apostille Service Office at LG1, and present your payment receipt for checking. You then will be issued a collection receipt.
- Collection of apostilled document: You can collect in person or through an authorized person. On the appointed date, you/your authorized person will visit the Apostille Service Office at LG1 to collect your apostilled document.
In case you are outside Hong Kong, you can:
- Send your document to a person in Hong Kong to complete the process on your behalf, OR
- Mail to the Apostille Service Office, High Court Registry the document and a bank draft for the processing fee ($125 per apostille) (in Hong Kong currency) payable to ‘Government of Hong Kong SAR’. The bank draft must be specified that it can be drawn in Hong Kong. Moreover, the applicant should bear any additional bank charges for the transaction. The Apostilled document will then be sent to you by ordinary air-mail, or registered air-mail at your expense at an additional HK$15.5. In this case, the applicant should include this charge net into the bank draft.
👉 Step 3: Legalize by Vietnam Consulate General in HongKong
This is the final step of your Hong Kong document legalization for use in Vietnam, and it is known as Vietnam consulate in Hong Kong legalization.
In order to complete this procedure, you need to prepared required documents and then submit them to the Consulate General of Vietnam in Hong Kong at:
- 15/F, Great Smart Tower, 230 Wan Chai Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
- Tel: +852 2835 9318
You will get your legalized documents after 3 – 5 working days.
You then need to translate your documents into Vietnamese for use in Vietnam.
3. Cost and processing time of Vietnam legalization of Hong Kong documents
The costs and the processing time to keep in mind for this procedure are the following:
- Cost and time of notarization/certification (if required): vary by the office;
- Cost and time of Hong Kong apostille/authentication: HK $125/apostille stamp & 2 working days;
- Cost and time of legalization by the Vietnam Consulate General in Hong Kong: US $10/legalization stamp & 3 – 5 working days.
- 15.5 HK$ for sending the document by registered air-mail by the Hong Kong High Court if you cannot be present in Hong Kong in person.
4. How can Vietnam-visa.com help you?
In case you are in Vietnam and need to get your documents legalized for applying for Vietnam work permit, registering your marriage in Vietnam, doing your investment in Vietnam or other businesses and you cannot find anyone to help you with the process in Hong Kong, finding a Vietnam consular legalization service is the right choice.
But don’t leave your documents to a non-experienced service provider who do not fully understand the process and its requirements. Your paperwork could be rejected costing you time and money.
With 10+ years providing the Service on Legalizing Hong Kong documents for Vietnam, Vietnam-visa.com is proud of procuring ourselves the title of the best legalization service in Vietnam. When you trust us to do your legalization, we will help you to monitor all the steps carefully from your order to the final delivery of your documents to your physical address.
In addition, we only require SCAN of your original documents, as such you can keep your originals in your safe place. Our processing time is just 15 days.
So, should you need to legalize your Hong Kong documents SAFELY & QUICKLY, Vietnam-visa.com is the best.
Our Hong Kong document consular legalization service covers:
- Notarization (if required);
- Hong Kong Apostille/Authentication;
- Vietnam General Consulate in Hong Kong legalization.
Additionally, we can provide you with high-quality certified translation into Vietnamese.
Common Hong Kong documents legalized by us:
We have legalized a wide range of documents issued in Hong Kong for use in Vietnam, including:
- Certificates of birth,
- Certificate of death
- Certificate of marriage;
- Certificate of Absence of Marriage Record;
- Police Check Certificate;
- Education documents (school reports, certificates, diplomas);
- Employment confirmation;
- Business registration certificate;
- Articles of incorporation;
- registration certificates;
- Tax registrations;
Our Service fee for Certain Hong Kong Document legalization for Vietnam:
|Document type||Service fee (USD/stamp)||Required documents|
|1-4 stamps||5 – 9 stamps||From 10 stamps|
|Diplomas – Certificates||267||265||260.5||Scan of original Diplomas – Certificates|
|Business registration certificate||267||265||260.5||Scan of Original Business registration certificate|
|Chinese passport||267||265||260.5||Scan of Original Passport|
|Employment confirmation||267||265||260.5||Scan of Original Employment Certificate + Passport + Business registration Certificate of confirming employer|
In case you have other types of documents, feel free to request a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org or +84 32 896 0880 (WhatsApp, Viber, Zalo available).